Albert J. Myburgh
Albert J. Myburgh (“Albie”) started his legal career in South Africa where he became senior partner in a law firm doing sophisticated corporate transactional work. Mr. Myburgh’s clients included a telecommunications conglomerate, financial institutions, public as well as small to midsize companies.
Prior to his admission to the New York Bar in 2004, Mr. Myburgh worked in Hong Kong for 7 years. Initially, as General Counsel and Executive Director of the international subsidiary of a NASDAQ listed Corporation with the responsibility for all its international legal activities in Asia Pacific, Europe and Africa, which included numerous M&A deals and cross-border transactions. After completing a full-time LLM program at Boston University with a concentration in securities law, Mr. Myburgh returned to Hong Kong to join the venture capital firm, Piermont Ventures as General Counsel, and is presently still associated with this VC firm as a director.
After working for two prominent New York matrimonial practices specializing in high net worth divorces, and prior to joining Kanen Law Firm as partner in 2014, Mr. Myburgh managed his own boutique practice, Myburgh Law, P.C. with particular focus on high net worth matrimonial matters as well as corporate and financial law.
Currently, Mr. Myburgh works as of counsel with Kanen Law Firm’s corporate law division, representing the Firm’s corporate clients in matters involving securities offerings, M&A’s, SEC compliance, cross-border transactions and corporate governance matters with particular focus on working with start-up companies in matters ranging from incorporation and initial capitalization to venture capital financing and board fiduciary duties. Mr. Myburgh also represents a number of venture capital firms in connection with their investments and is presently assisting with Kanen Law Firm’s crowdfunding initiative.
- State Courts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- The High Court of South Africa (Attorney & Conveyancer)
- LLM (with concentration in securities aw) Boston University, Boston, MA, 2000.
- H.Dip Co Law (advanced certification in corporations and securities law), University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1992.
- B. Juris (Combined B.A. /J.D. equivalent), University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa, 1975.